08 November 2012

It's all Mom's fault.

I’m not sure what it is about knitting needles, but I love to buy them.

I AM a knitter, so it’s not just me being weird, (well, maybe it is....who knows?) but I like to buy and try out new needles and then collect the good ones, so that I’ll always have the right ones on hand when I need them for a new project.

I blame my mother. It’s all her fault.

I didn’t inherit my love of knitting needles from her. I don’t have any memory of her knitting, as the last knitting project she worked on was the layette she was working on when she was pregnant with me, more than 43 years ago. She never finished the project. I was the baby from hell with an undiagnosed milk allergy, and she was too busy cleaning up puke to do much more than try to soothe my constant screaming, do lots of laundry, and get through my babyhood without giving in to the urge to flush me down the toilet. Who has time to knit in that circumstance?

She may have lost interest in knitting, but she did sew throughout my childhood (though she’s lost interest in sewing, too. But after doing something for 45 or 50 years, I suppose one is entitled to get a bit tired of it). But she still LOVES to cook, and is very, very good at it.

I’m a decent seamstress and cook well enough, but I picked up knitting on my own. What I did inherit from her was a love of gadgets. She has every cooking and sewing gadget known to man (or women, as the case may be). I can’t tell you how many times during my childhood she excitedly pulled out her most recent kitchen gadget and showed me how it worked.

Yeah, yeah, Mom... Whatever. (Imagine teenage scorn in my tone). To the embarrassment of my future self, I kinda like kitchen gadgets, now too. Though I tend to limit my kitchen gadget acquisition to ones I’ve seen and tried out in Mom’s kitchen first. Unlike her, I have a normal-sized kitchen.

Even as a senior, she’s a bit like a kid that way. And just in case my tone fools anyone, I want everyone to know that I hope to grow up to be just like her. Anyone that’s like a kid in their excitement over the coolness of a new gadget is OK by me.

But, if you hear me say such odd words as Dyaks, Boye, AddiClick, Signature Stillettoes, Brittany, Harmony, Denise, Karbonz, HiyaHiya, ChiaoGoo (really!), Blackthorns, Nova, or Northern Lights, you’ll know that I’m probably trying out a new knitting needle. Or discussing the properties of said knitting needle, and why I need one needle for one kind of yarn, and another needle for some other kind of yarn. I'm feeding my addiction, anyway.

And, as I said, it’s all Mom’s fault.

Really.

5 comments:

cv writing service said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Drift Financial Services said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Drift Financial Services said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Drift Financial Services said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Drift Financial Services said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.